Roger Federer beats British qualifier Marcus Willis - Welcome to Soccer World

Latest

Wednesday 29 June 2016

Roger Federer beats British qualifier Marcus Willis

Willis, the world number 772 who came through six rounds of qualifying and the first-round proper, was beaten 6-0 6-3 6-4 in round two.
Third seed Federer could play another Briton next as he awaits either Dan Evans or Ukraine's Alexandr Dolgopolov.
Willis, 25, will take home £50,000 as reward for making the second round.
He had previously earned far more as a tennis coach than player this year, with around £220 in prize money to his name before a spectacular upturn in fortunes over the last two weeks.
The British number 23 from Wokingham is also set to rise to around 416 in the world when the new rankings are confirmed after Wimbledon.
Willis was in danger of suffering a humiliating defeat when he lost the first seven games, but he gathered himself sufficiently to test Federer.
Marcus Willis: "It is daunting. It is tough. I was playing alright at first, I settled into the match. I was enjoying it out there. If I was playing well and competing with Roger for a couple of sets I was doing well.
"I need to keep my head down. I am disappointed to lose. I didn't play as well as I could but I can hold my head high. I have had a fantastic couple of weeks. I will keep going and do what I have been doing. There is life after Wimbledon and I want more experiences like this.
"I've earned myself a beer now!"
Roger Federer: "It was very different. Marcus brought some unbelievable energy to the court with his play, the fans and his enthusiasm as well."

No comments:

Post a Comment