'Chelsea talks filled me with joy' - Sampaoli reflects on almost replacing Mourinho - Welcome to Soccer World

Latest

Thursday 13 April 2017

'Chelsea talks filled me with joy' - Sampaoli reflects on almost replacing Mourinho

'Chelsea talks filled me with joy' - Sampaoli reflects on almost replacing Mourinho

The highly-rated Argentine coach held discussions with the Blues prior to the Premier League leaders taking the decision to appoint Antonio Conte.

Jorge Sampaoli says talks to replace Jose Mourinho at Chelsea were “a huge compliment”, even though the job eventually went to Antonio Conte.

The Blues found themselves in the market for a new manager in December 2015, having taken the decision to part company with Mourinho for a second time.

The highly-rated former Chile coach was among those considered but Roman Abramovich ultimately went in a different direction, with Conte accepting an offer in April 2016.

"It filled me with joy that Chelsea thought I could be the man to lead them this season," Sampaoli told The Sun, "which actually has turned out to be so successful.

"It was a huge compliment and I felt proud that someone as important as Mr [Roman] Abramovich wanted to know my idea about football and what I felt and thought about his own team.

No comments:

Post a Comment