Saviola: If I'd thought about Barcelona's history, I'd never have left the dressing room - Welcome to Soccer World

Latest

Tuesday 27 December 2016

Saviola: If I'd thought about Barcelona's history, I'd never have left the dressing room

Image result for Javier Saviola

The former Blaugrana striker Javier Saviola reveals how he blocked out the pressure during his time as a player at the Camp Nou.

Javier Saviola says he might not have been brave enough to ever leave the dressing room had he thought about the pressure of playing for Barcelona.

At only 19 years old in 2001, Saviola joined Barca from River Plate for a reported €18million and went on to score 21 times in all competitions in his debut campaign.

The Argentine continued to enjoy a strong record in front of goal but found first-team opportunities limited and was loaned to Monaco and Sevilla before leaving for Real Madrid in 2007.

Image result for Javier Saviola
Now 35, Saviola has revealed he was only able to enjoy his career in Catalonia because he did not allow himself to become distracted by thoughts of his price tag or the illustrious history of the club.

"Because I was so young, I don't think I ever realised about the place I was going," he told Omnisport.

"I never became aware that I was at such a big club and the amount of money that had been paid for me, nor that I was about to start playing at a fully crowded Camp Nou.

"I benefited from the fact that I never internalised all of this. Maybe if I'd thought about the money that was paid, or the packed stadium, or that I was part of a club with such a history, then I wouldn't have left the dressing room!"

No comments:

Post a Comment